Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hello Handyma'am

I did it!
Our bath/shower has had a problem for much longer than I would like to admit. When you pulled the little diverter thing to get the water to change from coming out of the spout to coming out of the shower, it didn't work very well. The water came out the top shower spout, but tons still came out the bath spout. It's been wasting water (and for those of you that know me and my conservative ways (please note - that is "conservative," NOT "Conservative"), it was killing me. But I was too cheap to hire a plumber to fix it, and too intimidated to fix it myself.

Then I finally went to Home Depot (Thank you Titelbaum parents! Your housewarming gift just keeps on giving.) and looked at the plumbing section. A new universal spout was just $15. I talked to one of their workers who lives in their plumbing section and he talked me through how I would do it. You're probably supposed to turn off the water supply to the shower, but he said it wasn't really all that necessary (I couldn't find the local shut-off valve, and really didn't want to go through the trouble of turning off the supply to the whole house.). He also said the directions didn't make that much sense, so just follow the picture.

Turns out the directions were very helpful. Mostly it was easy. The hardest part was getting the old parts off the copper pipe (without breaking anything) and finding a screwdriver short enough to let me tighten the screw, what with the edge of the tub being in the way and all.

When I was done, the moment of truth was a little scary. It would have sucked if it didn't work. It would have been very hard to put the old spout back on, and Matt and I both needed to shower early this morning. But it worked! It is a beautiful site.

And my shower this morning was quite lovely. The water drained faster (since so much less was coming out), and my heart was lighter knowing I wasn't wasting all that water and the energy it took to heat it! (Yes, Dad, I still turn off the water between steps of shampooing and soaping and all that stuff. You trained me well with the desert water thinking.)

I know this is a ridiculously long post for such a simple thing, especially when I could have posted about so many bigger things (New York trip, Super Bowl party, Israel trip, my sushi birthday party, the snow in March (which is all Jason's fault)...). But this doesn't feel all that simple. It feels great! I feel so empowered. :-)

Have a lovely Saturday. I'm hoping to enjoy warm weather, sans precipitation, today after work. And together both these things have me ridiculously chipper this early in the morning.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Yay! It is empowering, fixing stuff, especially useful stuff, like showers! Blog more about the other things, too! Sushi birthday party?! Israel?!!