The bug hit again. Had too cook, and had a fridge full of food from the farmer's market that needed to be cooked. I still have plenty, so all these darn social events this weekend are just going to get in the way! It's hard having such a rich social life. :-)
Starter:
Warm Beets (red and gold) on a bed of Red Leaf Lettuce
(the only non-local stuff was the olive oil, salt, and pepper)
Main Dish:
Sweet onion and Potato Fritatta with Sage, Thyme and Parmigiano Reggiano
(even the eggs were local, only they weren't from a farmer's market they were from a co-op near by. The only non-local was the little things: Smart Balance, salt, pepper, oil, dried thyme (which we've owned forever anyway - kinda losing its flavor!), and the cheese. Oh! And I added some chicken broth when cooking the thin-sliced potatoes because I was worried they wouldn't have enough moisture to cook to a very soft point. The broth isn't local, but it is free-range and organic, which maybe counts for something?)
The onions and potatoes cooked for a pretty long time at just below medium heat, so they were soft and sweet, and made it feel so creamy in the mouth. Yum!
Side:
Roasted Ear of Corn with Sage
I got really creative with this. I went and picked sage from the back yard, then peeled back a few layers of the husk put the sage in there (but not touching in the kernals, there was still one layer of husk left) pulled the husk back up and wrapped it in foil. In the oven at 400 for 1/2 hour (while the beets were roasting too).
I think it worked out ok. You could really taste the sage in the spot where the sage leaf was, but it didn't infuse any further, so if I do it again I think I'd need to use lots more leaves. Or maybe a stronger herb, like rosemary. But I'm not a huge fan of rosemary, and I don't have any in the yard, so for now we're sticking with sage.
Even our wine was (semi-) local. It was A to Z Pinot Blanc, from Oregon.
That's all for now. Just excited to share how excited I was to get in the kitchen. I didn't really have a recipe for any of it. Just saw the fritatta on tv a few weeks ago, but I don't remember what show or what was in it other than potatoes and onion.
This is quite the evolution from microwave meals, to the first ratatouille I cooked with Alyssa in college, to now!
Friday, August 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment